For many people, the dentist and the tooth fairy pose real threats. They are more scared of the dentist than at the threats posed by neglecting their own health. This common condition can be remedied with a procedure such as sedation dentistry.
This type of pain free dentistry offered by Wynnewood Dental Arts in Philadelphia and the surrounding region. Before undergoing this procedure, there are some things you should know and do.
- Safety – Don’t fret about the safety of this method. Sedation dentistry is performed by highly-trained professionals and is a common technique. The majority of dentists are trained in oral sedation by organizations such as the American Dental Association and Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation. Dr. Thomas DeFinnis has undergone such education and makes sure he and his staff stays up to date with the latest trends and technology.
- Know your dentist – Knowing who will be working on you and how qualified they are is very important. Dentists such as the team at Wynnewood Dental Arts possess the specialized training you should be looking for. With over 16 years of experience, Dr. DeFinnis is a quality choice for your sedation dental needs.
- Meet with a dental professional – When you meet with a dental professional prior to undergoing sedation dentistry, you should come prepared with questions. The knowledge you receive will put you at ease. This meeting will also outline the details of your procedure. Make sure to go over your medical and dental history and inform the dentist of any medication and supplements you are currently taking. Talking through the process will give you a better idea of what will happen.
- Positives – After meeting with a dentist, you will have a better idea of your options and how to proceed. The positives of undergoing sedation dentistry begin with feeling comfortable. It enables you to endure a longer and more complex procedure. It also saves you money by getting more done in one procedure. Dr. DeFinnis always makes sure to bring in an anesthesiologist to administer IV sedation in special cases.
- Preparation – After meeting with your dentist, you will have a better idea of how to prepare for your procedure. There will be very specific instructions that you should follow. Food and drink will definitely be restricted for a certain amount of time. Loose fitting clothes are ideal, so dentists and their assistants can seamlessly administer IVs. Patients are not allowed to smoke for at least 12 hours prior to surgery. Contact lenses, jewelry and excessive makeup are also discouraged. If you feel ill, make sure to contact the dental office.
For more information regarding sleep dentistry in Conshohocken, PA and the surrounding areas or to schedule a consultation, call Dr. DeFinnis at 610-228-4452 or visit online at https://wynnewooddentalarts.com/